- a bright blue sky over a seamless field of snow
- that drop jaw feeling that comes when a piece of music or art is too wonderful to wrap your mind around
- a chance like Emily's in Our Town to visit one day from the past
- a permanent vacation from arthritis, allergies, aches and pains
- a leaf-crunching, wood-smoke scented Indian summer that lingers till Thanksgiving
- a who-needs-fireworks meteor shower when shooting stars whistle and flash, whistle and flash all night
- a refreshing swim in the ocean and a long nap on a warm beach
- a sudden burst of inspiration / confidence / courage / laughter / peace
- a magic wardrobe that opens to another world
- a real-life get out of jail card that gets you out of writing a paper or doing the dishes or getting up early to go to work one yucky winter morning
- a time-travel trip to the first nativity scene, where we could kneel before a cattle trough and worship the King of Everything.
But if there is a mega-mall or dot com that sells such things, I couldn't find it on Google. And let's face it — I probably couldn't afford to shop there anyway.
So I just got you this scarf / fruitcake / puzzle / potato peeler / stupid card (please circle all that apply...).
I hope you like it, but even more,
I hope you understand
that what I really wanted to get you for Christmas
can only come from God.